feedback
Home

Lāʻie Plantation


In 1865, missionaries from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints arranged to purchase the 6,000 acre ahupuaʻa of Lāʻie from Thomas C. Dougherty (who was he?) for the sum of approximately $14,000 (by the standards of the time, a hefty amount of money).  The purchase included the land and improvements, which amounted to some livestock, a frame house, the "mansion" house, and several Hawaiian hales.  Not included in the purchase were the kuleana parcels, small tracts of land claimed by Native Hawaiians at the time of the Māhele.